Tuesday, January 16, 2018

On The First Day of Classes, My Mind Is On Yesterday with @YohuruWilliams & MLK Day

There are days where I feel blessed in my position in life and there are days when I feel SUPER BLESSED. Yesterday was one of those days and it occurred at St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Last fall, Fairfield University lost a giant when Dr. Yohuru Williams left to become a Professor of History, McQuinn Distinguished Chair and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of St. Paul, Minnesota. My fledgling years in southern Connecticut were mentored by Dr. Williams and I will forever be grateful to his wisdom, grace, trust and friendship. I'm proud he's taken his work out west, but miss seeing him on a weekly basis across campus. He is an inspiration and, no surprise here, it was nothing but a standing ovation for him yesterday at the Thirty-Third Annual Commemorative March/Memorial Service honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

In my dream life I can work the crowd with the charisma, charm, and brilliance that he has. He knows how to move an audience to magical heights.

A week ago, Dr. Williams contacted me to see if I had a projector and screen to help his talk. He was flying to his hometown, Bridgeport, for 24 hours and I was devoted to helping him in any way that I could. We set up an hour before the ceremony and were present when the MLK marchers, who braved the cold temperatures, arrived to St. Paul Missionary. There is so much history in this community and that is why Dr. Williams was the perfect guest to speak to the amazing congregation. The remarks by Rev. Dr. Sulton Stack, Jr., Mayor Joseph P. Ganim, and Sister Anna Crawley were spot on. They laid a foundation for the energy of Dr. Yohuru Williams, as did the musical selections provided by the choir, Olin Dorsey, and Mr. LeVaughn Crosby. Life Every Voice And Sing.


It was also great to have youth representation from Fairfield University at the event in support of Dr. Williams and to know they bring forward the next generation of work.

THEY ARE THE GIANTS

I am using Dr. Yohuru Williams and his genius to fuel all that will occur over the next month as my role with CWP-Fairfield brings forward the MLK Essay contest, the Youth Leadership Academy, and Poetry For Peace. I look forward, too, to hearing Angela Davis when she comes to our campus to give remarks in February.

Yesterday's MLK ceremony ended with the congregations singing, "We Shall Overcome." That is the hope of millions and millions, for generations and generations, as they try to make their way in a nation that promises much , but has not always delivered. Overcoming is what we must strive for.

This is the advice of Dr. Williams.


1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete