Saturday, April 28, 2018

Because They are CENTRAL to My Heart, Mind, and Soul - Hilltoppers, Way To Go!

My first summer institute on writing for teachers introduced me to the awesome-sauce of Mr. Shaun Mitchell who has folded his ways into the National Writing Project way of life and who continues to bring magic to the Central High School community, including the Central Players who put on The Man Who Came To Dinner - a screwball story that features a phenomenal group of Christmas carolers and the hilarious talents of Arnold Setiadi (as Patrick notes, "It runs in the family). Wonderful to see the leadership and talents of Vanessa Arroyo, who has brought her theater-teaching talents to the work of the young thespians at the school. It's always a great thrill to leave campus to attend a production by the school.

A round of applause to Alexis Charles, Amir Alibali, Taylor Simpson, Kelsey Tonacati, Adonia Adams, Celeste Cabrera, Abigail Estrada, Mariana Costa, Ederson Leal, Alexa Boyle, Aliyah McAllister, Chunjang Bruynden, Brandon Jorge, Arnold Setiadi, Alexandra Vazquez, Nathan Oakes, Shemar Chastanet, Stephanie Maso, Julia Inacio, Shamay Edwards, Max Godinez, Amber Vasconez, Max Godinez, Deja Davis, Shamoy Edwards, Stephanie Mazo, Julia Inacio, Max Godinez, Shemar
Chastenet, Mariana Costa, Deja Davis, Abigail Estrada, Shemar Castanet, Mauricio Woods, Stephanie Maso, & Julia Inacio

Also, a tremendous standing ovation for all the stage hands who helped to make the performance possible.

My night ended with the Central Players, but also began with another Central crew brought to Fairfield University by Charlotte Pecquex, student teacher for Shaun Mitchell, Fairfield University grad, CWP-teacher, and now colleague to all the Hilltoppers. She brought her crew to the writing center in the morning and showcased her experiences on our campus, while creating a pathway that her students might aspire toward. Undergraduate Michelle Hernandez helped to make the connection, as well as Dr. Elizabeth Boquet and her Writing Center staff. As a result, 60 Hilltoppers came to campus to learn more about college life.

It is amazing to me to see the family grow and to be able to "write" on the wings of such phenomenal educators. The passion these teachers have for their students and district is simply contagious. A poem from the morning:

J ust because we're Bridgeport, doesn't mean we don't
u nderstand this
l ife thing (see, cuz we bring
i nttelect as we sing
a nd fling creativity to the moon).
n o. We are bigger than the universe.

H ell, we don't even need to rehearse
a t all because we are packed in brilliance.
m an, we should dance, wo-
m an, we should take a stance, screaming
o ut loud that we are Hill-Toppers proud,
n ot needing anything, but what
d estiny will bring our way.

So, here's to Central. I'm going into my Saturday grateful to know so wonderful human beings at this school!

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete