Sunday, April 22, 2018

Powering Up for Saugatuck StoryFest '18 (October) By Mixing Communities & Dreaming of Diverse Futures

I spent a large part of Saturday working with two wonderful young men from Central High School who are on the youth board of the Saugatuck StoryFest helping teachers at Staples High School envision a collaboration for youth all across southern Connecticut. Today, we were part of the Westport Maker Faire getting our toes wet about what is possible for next fall when big name young adult novelists grace us with their presence and when we join forces with others to create a one-of-a-kind experience: this is the vision of Kim Herzog, Rebecca Marsick, and the Westport library association.

Lucky for us, Jerry Craft was presenting his books at the table next to ours and because of luck of a friend and a friend, I was able to connect with him abut a vision for creating diverse books and offering illustrations that were highly appealing to Kemoy and Chunjang who came with me for the day (or, at least, I came with them).

Chunjang, interestingly, brought a copy of the 2014-2015 Poetry For Peace publication where he wanted to show Kemoy he had his first published poem. He was proud, which made me proud because he didn't know that I'm also lucky to work with Carol Ann Davis and Elizabeth Boquet on that publication every year.

Publishing student writers matters and, at least in the case of Chunjang, it was affirmation that the words he pens at Sea Side park are important; others want to read what he has to say.

There's much more to come, but today was a launch of sorts and I spent the day extremely happy for all that these incredible teachers envision!

I'm more thrilled, though, to follow the leadership of Kim Herzog and Rebecca Marsick as they bring diverse communities together around the power of story.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds creative and busy ... you always got something interesting cooking!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete