Wednesday, June 6, 2018

#WORDOFMOUTH18 (Cough Cough) - Great Stuff Coming to Connecticut @S_StoryFest

For incredible teachers of Connecticut, there are only a few more weeks before their 180+ school days are over (give or take a few snow days and other weather events impeding the original end dates). Most of these educators have their eyes on beaches, books, breaks, and sleeping-in time. There are others, however, that are already planning the 2018 school year. Three of these educators are phenomenal leaders in Connecticut and, I'm proud to say, all members of the Connecticut Writing Project-Fairfield.

I didn't have Rebecca Marsick in my Invitational Summer Institute, but know that a National Writing Project program is universal - they all excel. Shaun Mitchell and Kim Herzog, however, came through since I've arrived to the area. Together, they make an incredible team of suburban and urban educators providing excellence and opportunities for all of their students (especially in relation to writing and young adult literature).



Yes, Kim Herzog just had a beautiful baby girl and, yes, pregnant, she approached Jason Reynolds and Nic Stone to see if they'd be interested in this incredible vision that is the Saugatuck StoryFest. It is a two-day event with a two-day introduction through collaboration with Fairfield University, the Quick Center, Hoops4Hope, HoopsAfrica, and CWP-Fairfield. Every month when we meet with the youth board, I get more excited.

The kids exchange books like they are Pokemon cards. Actually, they would impress librarians, authors, and teachers everywhere. They are voracious with their appetites for great books and even more excited about developing their own writing skills.

U Gotta Write! A'ight?!

Last night, we had our final meeting with young people from Westport and Bridgeport Public Schools and we created an impromptu video to begin creating more excitement for the fall months ahead (one I hope will be
up and available real soon).

It must be noted that everyone is drained at this time of year, but the momentum for this extracurricular, beyond-the-call-of-duty work keeps on trucking forward. With this noted, I need to shout-out to the vision, dedication, passion, and foresight of these three English educators. They give up their time, their energy, their evenings, and their book resources to make sure that kids have powerful texts in their hands. They drive kids on nights and weekends, interact with social media to keep the nation abreast with what is going on in Connecticut, and advocate for the young adult novels they love and cherish. It is amazing to be part of their team.

Consider this a #WordOfMouth18 teaser. There is so much more to come and southern Connecticut needs to get very excited for the incredible writers coming our way!

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete