Friday, September 14, 2018

Introducing Silver Medalist Milford Trivia Team: The Kelly Ripley Scandal (Should Have Been Crandall, but Ripley is More Irish)

I'm accustomed to not winning, but being that kid who gets a trophy nonetheless. Last night, however, I entered my first ever trivia contest as a guest to the Milford Irish Club. Okay, there's a sliver of Ripley in me that claims Irish heritage and my DNA allows me to claim that (just a little bit).

Long story short, we scored 24 correct answers out of the 30 questions in the category of board games, sitcoms, and cocktails. I don't know much, but I do know some things. Technically, I should have convinced myself for an additional 3 points after the results were revealed, but I was too skeptical of my own intuition. We managed to beat the Golden Girls (they are regulars and well known to the trivia night), but lost to a new team - a team of 3 - who got all the answers right (screw them, even if they got bonus points from the other antics of the game). Even with the points lost because of my numbskullness, we still wouldn't have achieved the gold.

We did get the silver, though.

Questions that stumped me: shimmy. In cocktail lingo, a shimmy, I've learned, is a request for less alcohol (who'd do that at a bar?). I also knew that backgammon had between 10 and 20 tiles, but I went high, when it was actually 15. I also majorly biffed on blank tiles in Scrabble - I said there were 4 per game, but I knew it was two. Also, the cure for a perfect pour is a jigger, and although we all came to that conclusion, we wrote something else. What were we thinking? 

It might be pretty sad, but we aced the sitcom round.

I've never participated in a trivia night and was surprised to get a shot of Jameson as a result of our silver-medalist finale. I will take it. I am unsure if my team realized how competitive I really am at such an Olympic sport, but I was serious about the process of elimination with our suggested results. Even if we went with our gut, we still would have only scored 27/28, which was off from the golden champions, but I'm pretty stoked.

We should have been the Kelly Crandall Scandal, but I went with the more Irish of my last names and I think it served us well.

Feeling proud until next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment