Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Existential Cream Cheese For Philosophical Cinnamon Rolls - An Election Day Post

Truth is, the truth is, and that truth is what you think it is.

I just read the readings I assigned for Philosophy of Education (the last chapter of Philosophy of Education in Action) and it moved from Friere to Buber to Kierkegaard to Noddings to Greene really quick, with a lot of emphasis on existentialism.

Who am I in relation to the truth I create for myself? What does any of it matter in relation to one's existence and purpose? Then there's that education thing. Why should any of us care?

I was thinking about this when I opened a new hair product, a dipping doo diggity wallop that strikingly reminded me of the frosting I used to get caked on Cindy's Cinnamon Rolls (I miss them so much). I used to purchase these delectable pastries when I could afford them (the last 10 minutes of Mall hours when they sold what they had left for 50% off).
Is there anything better than a a well done cinnamon roll? I don't think so.

I exist because I once ate such delicacies. I exist because I have a paste to make my hair look like Kramer from Seinfeld. I exist, because after reading and prepping for a class on existential contributions to K-12 schooling (um, I don't see too much recognition of existence or reasons for existing in most of the schools I visit - just robotic boredom and apathetic misery). But I exist, as they exist. We exist together.

Then there's an election. I exist, therefore I have an opinion, but they exist, and they have an opinion, too. I'm afraid of postmodern subjectivities and reality television thinking as it exists on CNN and Fox. Results will come in and we will all still be existing.

Truth is non-truth. Non-truth is truth. All we are is dust in the wind.

And I'm thinking about the humanity of it all. Why would I put cream cheese in my hair? Is it vanity? Is it insanity? Is it postmodern play? Is it MAN-o-pause? Am I a particle man, particle man?

Actually, I'm thinking of two movies: I Heart Huckabees and Waking Life. Both are early millennial movies at the turn of the century and (for the most part) place existential crisis in Western White Masculine terms (which is humorous and problematic and enlightening and right and wrong). These films, as well as the profound silliness of this post will be on my mind for the next 24 hours as I try to find a way to make students (who tend to be from traditional Catholic schooling institutions) contemplate the esoteric and intellectual Basquiat-painting of existentialism.

But I am so, so, so craving a cinnamon roll. Should be an interesting class this week. And should be an interesting night of news, for better or for worse. We will still have to exist within it all.


2 comments:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM  

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hi everyone I'm Wayne Desmond
    Hi everyone I'm Wayne Desmond and am here to share the wonderful work Dr Believe did for me. After 5 years in marriage with my husband with 2 kids, my husband started acting weird and going out with other ladies and showed me cold love, on several occasions he threatens to divorce me if I dare question him about his affair with other ladies, I was totally devastated and confused until a old friend of mine told me about a spell caster on the internet called Dr. Believe who help people with relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contact him, he helped me cast a love spell and within 48hours my husband came back to me and started apologizing, now he has stopped going out with other ladies and his with me for good and for real. Contact this great love spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via email: believelovespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +19713839183

    Here is my personal email: waynedesmond22@gmail.com if you wish to ask me anything



    ReplyDelete