Thursday, March 22, 2018

And We Need to Embrace the UIEEEEE and EEEEREO Kind of Days. They Matter, Too



 They called for a Blizzard. It was supposed to be armageddon, and so when I woke up yesterday and the sky was only gray I had to scratch my head. Classes were on. Schools were dismissing early, but the University said they were full force.

I went to work. I had a plan of action already made, but with schools getting out early, I had to adapt to a college-only class. I was in my office for 3 hours getting all the materials ready.

An hour into class (wiping sweat from my brow that I got it all settled) the University sends to all the students that offices were closing and classes ended at 12:30.

My classroom has no windows. I anxiously went to 12:29:29 and said, "Okay, this is our 4th storm and I apologize this class keeps getting interrupted." They departed.

When I went outside, however, there was no snow. Even so, everyone was scrambling to their cars to beat the storm.

I was home by 1:30. At 9:41 p.m. I was still looking outside for the snow. The Weather Channel continued to report a warning that 12 -18 inches would fall.

Nothing. Just wet roads. I swept...yes, swept...the back porch. I made an Indian curry dish. I cleaned. I then graded for 8 hours. No snow.

Before bed I played my Words with Friends game and realized that the winds they predicted actually showed up in the letters I had to work with: uieeeeee eeereo. That was the storm - the extent of it.

uieeeee eeereo!!!!

I'm not sure who missed this one. The nightly news reported the storm, the Weather Channel kept sending out warnings, and outside the wet roads remained wet, but clear.

That was the storm that stalled life in Connecticut yesterday. I don't get it. What happened? Did I miss something?

I did get a lot done, but jeez! I wanted a real reason to sit inside all day behind my computer!

Update: It turns out the storm tracked south and 28 miles from here, in Long Island, they got the 18 inches. It was chance. We got a coating. That's just the way love goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment