Sunday, March 18, 2018

Eighteen Years, Man! Where Did It Go? How Did It Lead To This Reunion?

So, this kid, Jimmy, Class of 2000, was in his sophomore year when I began teaching at the Brown School. On good days, I would run a 5K with him and the track team across the 2nd Street Bridge, leaving from 1st and Muhammad Ali in Louisville. I had him again when he was a senior and was honored to be a teacher representative when he was chosen for Governor's Scholars. He was brilliant, he was full of spirit, and he radiated all the Brown School had to offer, including an undying passion for everything the school stood for.

He moved on to Western Kentucky University, was a sports caster for years, and now is with his wife working at Towson University, where this year's NCTEAR conference was hosted. The two of us had a chance to catch up over dinner, trying to piece together where our 18 years have gone. I lasted at the Brown School another 8 years, and in that time he became an adult.

Phew!

So much history. It zips by faster than a blink of an eye. Back in the day, I took him to a Syracuse / Louisville basketball game and we had incredible seats 4 rows behind Jim Boeheim. Jimmy was a walking encyclopedia of information, especially about sports, and he still is.

This morning, I have back to back presentations, but I already know that the highlight of this trip is reuniting with him. I have a long drive back home, but I will spend it reminiscing about his senior year, the Class of 2000, and all the awesomeness they brought to my world, including the epic senior trip to Disney World, Ft. Lauderdale, St. Augustine, and Cape Canaveral. I will never forget that trip (for many, many reasons).

Here's to what once was and all that is still to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment