Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Well, I Guess I Should Let It Be Known. Not My Thing. But The Materials Were Returned, So....

Yesterday, I received an email from an administrative assistant stating that my materials were ready for pick-up. In January, I received an unofficial letter and I threw it onto a pile of pine cones sitting in a tremendous basket given to me from a Somali Bantu community in Syracuse. Four months passed and an official letter came from the President of the University. I threw that letter on the same pine cones.

Today, however, collecting my container of materials that were submitted (they wanted to get rid of it), I realized that perhaps it is official.

Not sure how I feel about it, because I have a love/hate relationship with higher education (and this thing within me that uses it to set, limit, create, and inhibit boundaries for my life), but I guess another milestone was met.

I'm pregnant.

No.

Actually, I gave birth to the documents within those binders. 98 pages of self-explanation of what I've tried to accomplish since 2012 when I first arrived to the University. I suppose it can all be summarized in a paragraph from the first pages:
Since 2012, I published 9 peer-reviewed articles, book chapters, and reviews, presented 41 times at peer-reviewed, national conferences, taught 296 undergraduate and graduate students, led 55 teacher leaders in summer institutes for teaching writing, received 25 grants totaling $504,700, served Fairfield University through departmental and university-wide initiatives and committees, was featured in news stories 53 times (see Appendix J: In The News), and received 9 awards in recognition of community-engaged scholarship.
Whatever. That's the game played. In truth, what isn't documented is much more important: the Young Adult Literacy Labs, Ubuntu Academy, hours and hours of professional development with K-12 teachers, and the relationships I've built with others.

I've reflected often that when I announced this, that I'd also quote Groucho Marx when he said, "I'd never join a club that would have me as its member."

I have to acknowledge, however, that membership has been granted. I now need to figure out what to do with it.

This is all to say that I received tenure at Fairfield University. I'm still not sure what that means or is supposed to feel like, but it is a step that one takes when they are in higher education.

I'm still not satisfied, however. I work too much in K-12 schools and I see the incredible inequities that exist. I know, too, how far removed a life in higher education is to the reality of the rest of the world. These are my demons and they are what wake me up at 2 a.m. in a panic. With that noted, I recognize my privileges and am thankful that the odd way I do the academic world was respected by campus leaders and colleagues. That means a lot (because I tend to do what I do in the Brown School way - that is, my own, quirky way).

When my bins were returned to me I said to a colleague, "Let me dress up. I guess it's time I share with others that this occurred." I think I need to let myself acknowledge it, too.

But there is so much more we all need to do....

For now, another hoop was stepped through.

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete