Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Well, Wolfe, I'm Not a Scholar of Your Work, But Have Always Been a Tremendous Fan. R.I.P.

When I finally exited the undergraduate strain of being assigned books and needing to fulfill course obligations, I found time to read work that seemed more intriguing to me. Actually, it was a film class with one of the craziest humans I've ever studied with, who assigned Bonfire of the Vanities to us. I was mesmerized by the story, the depth, and the detail. Of course, that man never discussed the book and it was just assigned.

That is why, upon reaching Louisville, where fellow gonzo-journalist Hunter Thompson resided once-upon-a-time, I picked up more and more of your books (not them all, but ones that intrigued me). I was fascinated by how much prose you could get to page while still maintaining my interest. When I Am Charlotte Simmons came out, I devoured it. It became one of those books that I read, loaned, and it never returned. So I bought it again, loaned it, and it never returned. I now keep two or three copies on my shelf because I know I will find a reader interested in story, sports, college life and class. I simply say, "Read this." They say, "Do you see the size of that thing?" and I respond, "You'll love every page."

They do.

I've never been one of those readers who goes ga-ga for authorial fanaticism and look to the work, rather than the writer. I caught documentaries from time to time on your eccentrics and brilliance, but I've never jumped on the bandwagon of getting into intellectual debates about your contributions to writing.

No, I simply read you. And I will continue to read you.

I hope the Great Whatever is ready for the way you interpret the afterlife and detail all its glory. I simply wish we could all read it while we're here.

Be at peace, sir. Be at peace.

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete