Thursday, July 19, 2018

Project Citizen - Two Weeks To Examine Civility, Two Days & "Examen" Is Discovered on Campus

Overnight when I get home from CWP-Fairfield's summer programs, I am fortunate to have Ali and Abu with me, who often have completely different experiences than I do. They become my eyes and ears in all the rooms where I can't be, recording student stories, teaching, capturing photos, listening, and filling me in on the achievements each literacy lab and teacher institute is accomplishing. Ali shared this photo from day one, where Novontae and Xavien were preparing to recreate the statues outside of Egan Chapel on our campus.

Novontate and Xavien arrived to our summer programs at recommendations by their teachers and administrators, so they could be part of a phenomenal Connecticut Writing Project experience. They attend Harding High School and with the first two days of our Project Citizen SEED camp, they've quickly made a tremendous impression on the teachers, peers and me as the Director.

Examen was dedicated to Fairfield University by artists Jeremy Leichman and Joan Benefiel, NYC Artists. Exploring the baroque period, the artists set out to think about spirituality and what it means to follow a Jesuit Mission - that is, to be men and women for others.... understanding the complexities of global knowledge and truths, and still finding a way to reach out to fellow men and women.

The statue asks us to look within ourselves to find a Divine presence...that is, the Great Whatever that magically embraces our day to day to routine and mission in life. Who am I? Who am I to you? Who are we together?

An indvidual is stronger when he or she takes the time to examine themselves in relation to a higher order - a larger purpose - a greater drive.

Although Project Citizen was not designed around these sculptures, I found it interesting that Xavien and Navontae were drawn to them on the first day, and Ali shared the photo with me yesterday evening. One of the goals of our program is to mix communities from multiple schools so they have an opportunity to think about being an individual, an American, and a citizen of the world.

Whether these two fellows know it or not, they've embraced the journey of lifelong learning - asking questions of who they are to themselves, and who they may be to the greater society.

That is Ubuntu. I love this photo. I love these two young men. They are taking a two-week break from their summer vacation to write with us at Fairfield University.

We should all be so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment