Friday, October 26, 2018

Spent an Evening Learning from Carmen Kynard with Project Citizen Youth. So Much To Think About

"What are you doing Thursday night?"

"Nothing. Just got poetry club after school."

"You want to see a scholar who will take this summer's work with #UNLOAD: Guns in the Hands of Artists to a whole new level - a level of academic discourse."

"You know we do."

The College of Arts and Science, under the leadership of Drs. Beth Boquet and Kim Gunter finished up the art exhibition at Fairfield University by inviting teacher scholar and rhetorician Dr. Carmen Kynard to campus. I knew of thirsty youth from the summer who are looking for the next phase of their intellectual journey, especially as they question the education they are receiving in their own schools, and I thought, "Well, this is perfectly in line with what they discussed this summer, what they hope to accomplish in their lives, and how they want to continue to pave their future."

It cost me a dinner and some gas, but truth be told, my Brown School core can't help but guide brilliant young people I meet in K-12 schools, especially when the dialogue aligns so effectively with their own writing and questioning that they presented to CWP-Fairifled this summer.

Dr. Carmen Kynard is doing great work at CUNY and documenting her own narratives with the college students she's teaching: interrogating Critical Race Theories, Racial Realism Afro Pessimism,  and Androfuturism with new geographies. In other words, she's listening to the young people she teaches and acknowledging the linguistic practices, theoretical perspectives and intellectual insight that they bring to her writing classroom.

I knew when the boys had questions and wanted to stay behind for pictures that the night was totally worth it. One is a junior and the other is a senior, both are wondering where they will find themselves in a post-high school world. Dr. Kynard's lecture (more a sharing of knowledge and research through the lens of listening to her youth - a storytelling blending scholarship and practice) was well received.

Now comes the rain, the wind, and the cold predicted for the next few days (and my road to hell with good intensions with a plan to get much accomplished).

Honored and privilege to hear her speak. Looking to the scholars of tomorrow with hope as they take Asante's 'two sets of notes.'

I love / to believe / in hope.

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM  

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete