Sunday, October 7, 2018

Taking Advantage of the Extra Day to Catch Up and to Unwind. If Only We Always Had 3-Day Weekends

I loved having an overcast, cloudy Saturday to stay inside and to do marathon grading, catching up on the frantic pace that was set in place since the semester began. I awoke yesterday at 6 a.m. and went right to work, grading until 1 p.m. before finally finding a place to take a break and go for a six mile run. I went by Bunnell High School, that was setting up for the Cavalcade of Bands and I thought, perhaps, I might get enough accomplished that I might go.

That didn't happen, however; instead, I graded until 4 then took Glamis the Wonder Dog for a long walk, heading back by the high school where several local field bands were in the field banging their drums, whirling their banners, tooting their horns, and tossing their rifles. I couldn't help but recognize the scene, remember days with Cynde from 1986 to 1988 and then years with Nikki decades letter, when I was in CNY and would occasionally go with Cynde and Mike to see her perform.

This was the routine, and whenever I hear drum cadences I can't help but recall the memories.

I graded some more then head out for a glass of wine, conversation and the assembly of a new gas-lit fire pit, which I helped to put together, then enjoyed for a Saturday evening, before I realized I'm much rather be home in bed.

There's so much to be said for feeling on top of one's game, and I am very thankful for Columbus Day and the extra Monday to stay on top of the work needing to be done. I can't help but think of all the high school kids and their parents who are caught up in the marching band season, spending so many nights, especially Saturdays, in support of the art.

Those were the days, and without any real need to be part of it, it was easy for me to shake my head and say, "I'd rather sit by a fire pit with a glass of wine."

Still, the music played in the air and the days of yesteryear came in through my windows.

Here's to the occasional night off and the evenings of enjoying them without any guilt.

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM  

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete