Tuesday, January 30, 2018

A Bumper Sticker Poem (with thanks to @FletcherRalph (Crafted with my Undergrads)

This is the first time I'm teaching a 'teaching writing' course when I'm not using A Writer's Notebook; Unlocking the Writer Within You. I took a risk, knowing I've used Ralph Fletcher's seminal text to introduce writers' notebooks in undergraduate and graduate courses since I entered higher education. In recent years, too, I've had a farfetched vision to work with Ralph Fletcher - one of my writing teacher/teaching writer heroes - to compose a companion text, A Digital Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Digital Writer Within. This might be a cool collaboration that taps the genius of Troy Hicks, too).

This semester, however, I traded the book I traditionally assign on the first day of class for his 2017 publication, Joy Write: Cultivating High-Impact, Low-Stakes Writing. It is a timely book, much needed, and a perfect addition to the course and the objectives I have.

Last week in class, we did a quick whirl-around activity where everyone was handed card-stock to simulate a bumper sticker. I asked them, as Fletcher prompted after an invitation from a young man, "What would your bumper sticker be?"

It was a team-building, community growing activity.

Within a few minutes, a collection of nice, concise, and precise mottos were invented by each student for our imaginary collaborative vehicle that we will use to travel throughout the semester. I couldn't help but hear the rhythm in their bumper stickers, so drafted a poem in my notebook for us to 'fly' with this semester. We're reading Ellen Oh's Flying Lessons & Other Stories from #WeNeedDiverseBooks, as well, and learning from phenomenal writers of YA stories. 

Here's the seed planted in my writer's notebook, pruned a little to bloom. It's a found poem of sorts, inspired by the wisdom of my sensational 17 students (and the opening chapters of Ralph Fletcher's book). Wola! Their bumper sticker mottos are in bold:

Bumper Stickers for Fledgling Composers

Fly with Ubuntu,
that’s what fledgling writers do ---
flap their writerly wings with a smile
& doodle their flying lessons, too.

You’re golden sunflowers inside.
(& the powers reside in us all).
Embracing the glorious messes we are
that is the proverbial call.
Find what brings you joy and go there
(& that’s what we’re doing, y’all)

Music is medicine,
and You’re waiting for the other leg to go in…
You’re heading in the right decision…
The Noise is where change happens.

Travel cures the soul.
Everything you do, you do with love,
Keep on running, Keep on moving…
keep on thinking, keep on grooving,
& look to the hope above.

The Adventure is out there,
and You make beautiful things.
Que sera sera, whatever it brings, it brings.

So, Fly with Ubuntu,
& Never close your eyes,
build a writing community,
to see how the journey flies.

Because...

 If it doesn’t challenge you,
it doesn’t change you, and
“Not Responding is a response.

We are equally responsible for what we don’t do.”
It’s up to us to bring a Renaissance.

Write on! Composers, Write on!
Let the bumper stickers guide the way.
(& Special thanks to Ralph Fletcher,

loved reading what he had to say).

2 comments:

  1. URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE! unbelievable. Am sorry for putting this on the net but I have to. I want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to DR.IFADE of all spell casters worldwide for bringing back my wife who left me and the kids for almost six months within the space of two days after following all instructions given to me. I am very much grateful for restoring peace in my marital home, and I pray God almighty gives you the strength and wisdom to continue helping more people having similar relationships and marital problems like mine. For help you can contact him now through his email and mobile number below.

     
    Email: ifadesolutionspell31@gmail.com 
     
    WhatsApp Number: +2349060120490 OR +1(551) 333-5249.




    URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE! unbelievable. Am sorry for putting this on the net but I have to. I want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to DR.IFADE of all spell casters worldwide for bringing back my wife who left me and the kids for almost six months within the space of two days after following all instructions given to me. I am very much grateful for restoring peace in my marital home, and I pray God almighty gives you the strength and wisdom to continue helping more people having similar relationships and marital problems like mine. For help you can contact him now through his email and mobile number below.

     
    Email: ifadesolutionspell31@gmail.com 
     
    WhatsApp Number: +2349060120490 OR +1(551) 333-5249.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete