Sunday, January 7, 2018

Get Out! You Did the DMV, a Game of Spoons, and the Movie All in One Day?


Although I thought I'd wait until later this week, Glamis's 
bizarre 6 a.m. wake-up (wagging tale and little tongue hanging out of her mouth with excitement for being alive) prompted me to get up early and put on the agenda an 8 a.m. DMV arrival. I got there at 8:03 and was given paper A0069, which meant I needed the 69 people who beat me there to be called before me. By 9 a.m., the first 30 were through and I thought, "They are flying today." Well, that is when everyone went on break for 30 minutes and no 'A' numbers were called. So, I read a book (another post for another day) and played my games. Eventually, break was over and the pace picked up again. When my number was called, I dutifully brought  materials and had my license renewed

I'm not the first to recognize this - if DMVs are a symbol of our government, then something DEFINITELY needs to be done. It's insane. Tunga says, "Let them privatize it and create competition and see what happens. I don't know how the employees endure that work. Their lives are constantly at the receiving end of frustration and stress. 

So, later that night I added to my stress by introducing the card game of Spoons to friends, which caused tremendous anxiety because (cough cough) Pam is competitive. I watched her clutch a spoon from her own daughter's hand with a knuckle grip. It was amazing.

Then Leo and Bev came over and we watched the movie Get Out.

Okay. I've known about this film since its release and for some reason I haven' t found a way to see it. I think it is because I read enough about it and I didn't necessarily want to see the violence that comes from psycho movies. I was intrigued, however, because of the storyline and reversal of the 'black characters must die first' of horror films.

As always, I watched the violent parts with something distracting me from the screen so I didn't need to see the brains and guts. I can live without that. The story line, however, was very intriguing and I am thankful that I was filled in on the creators' humor and writing that they do. The film was funny, but not funny, and I think that is its greatest appeal. Quickly, one realizes that the movie is much more than a horror-flick; rather, it's a commentary on American history, race relations, the messed up narratives that are told over and over again in misinformed narratives, and .... well, the humor of coping with America's tragic racial sickness and illness. 

It is a disease and it always has been. 

Although the movie will be on my mind for quite some time (for many reasons), I'm glad I now have it in my repertoire for the very few films I've actually settled down to watch. 

It's a commentary, and I'm sure I'll now be obsessed with reading everything I can about how it was received (both commercially and academically). 

It delivered as I knew it would. Three horrors in one day: the DMV, Spoons with Olympic competitors, and a move. Will be interesting to see where my dreams go next.









No comments:

Post a Comment