Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Deconstructing Language To Reconstruct It All Over Again. Coincidental Epiphanies in Developmental Reading

Last night, graduate students read a chapter by Deborah Appleman about teaching Deconstruction in secondary classrooms and, because I forgot the book I wanted to use, I came up with an impromptu alternative, which worked and has me thinking in all sorts of new ways (potential everywhere).

The skinny is this - students read Dear Martin as a course YA novel so that I could hang lessons onto something concrete, and I'm always pushing for supplemental readings to get the themes and motivations across. The short is I forgot the other book I wanted to work with, so I ended up searching the NYTimes for relevant Opinion pieces around race, gun violence, international stereotypes, Black history, MLK, and justice. I ended up finding around 18 relevant OpEds from this year alone.

Because I was teaching deconstruction, I asked students to read their Op-Ed, choose a section, and then operate with a de-word poem (via Kwame Alexander's models in Booked). What occurred, I found, was a language synopsis from each article that could easily be turned into found poetry, but that also could make a larger point with academic writing. I had students put each article on the board with the words they 'contained and constrained' through the deconstructive/black out activity. What resulted was that 15 students established a word bank extremely relevant to a reading of Dear Martin. I then said, "I failed. I should have had you write the name of the author of each OpEd, too."

Why? Because I realized that with high school students, should they have opportunities to read numerous OpEds, would also gain perspective from NYTimes sources to help articulate larger arguments they might have for a reading of Dear Martin. I said, "This is interesting, because all of these words actually become focus points for what we might say and reference. These Op-Eds help us to form opinions, and I'm sure kids would benefit from such an activity, too."

The students, with deconstructing the OpEds with blacking out words to get to the main point, actually captured the essence of the article the could be turned into a statement to enrich the conversation for reading Dear Martin.

It was dumb luck. I figured the poetic connection would be made obvious (and it was), but I was more intrigued that this activity helped my students explicate the points of the OpEds in rather tremendous ways.

I will be doing this activity again.

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete