Thursday, April 19, 2018

Improv-ing The Teaching of Writing One Cohort At a Time. The 10-Minute Play Workshop

 I will never grow tired of running a 60-Minute workshop on ten-minute play script writing and it thrills me to death that a tradition I began at the J. Graham Brown School in Louisville, Kentucky in 2002 continues in 2018 (in 3 states).

I was in massive need for 'play,' yesterday, so the night before I resurrected a workshop and used it to as a writing lesson model to go with the on-coming language of EdTPA. My point with the students is that, above all else, writing should be a tremendous amount of fun. One of the students said, "We so need a selfie of this," and I responded, "Um, I incorporated that in the script I composed for our classroom performance."

It was part of the show.

The skinny is that today's lesson was to learn the EdTPA language for lesson planning, and I paired it with vocabulary activities, readings, Gallagher's chapter that The Wizard of Oz Would Be a Lousy Writing Teacher, and an in-class writing workshop where students could tap dialogue from their own lives to design a script of their own.

It has to be the best workshop I have up my sleeve and, kindergarten through Ph.D programs, it never fails. Everyone writes and has a fantastic time (Phew! I need to publish on this - it's too much fun).

My students and I share that we are absolutely exhausted at this time of the semester, so today was designed to bring Joy back to the classroom - the same Joy presented to us by Ralph Fletcher who helped me to kick off the semester with his book.

100% writing. 100% laughter. 100% happiness. 100% lightbulbs. In my dream life this is how I live my life everyday.

The National Writing Project helped me to come to this.

Okay, it's Thursday, and my day consists of an international conversation, a Fall spectacular (to be announced very soon), and 2 hours of PD with CWP teachers this evening. Sadly, there's a funeral in the mix, too (that I'm not looking forward to, but that I am....because he was a tremendous inspiration and he gave me hope for what I am trying to do. He saw me and appreciated the work).

Phew. This job. I tell ya'.

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete