Friday, May 25, 2018

My Best Collaborations Are When I Introduce People & Then They Make The Magic

Earlier this year, librarian Colin Neenan of Staples High School reached out with an idea to partner English educators at his school with English educators at another. The teachers wanted to read Angie Thoma's The Hate U Give and they had funding to invest in the project. I suggested two English teachers that worked with CWP on the College Ready Writers Program and their Principal, Kathy Silver, as possible partners.

Emails were exchanged and I simply guided and made suggestions where I could. I shared a few chapters I've written with Colin, and encouraged him to think about dialogue and democracy that could exists between the two schools.

The first met at Harding in Bridgeport, and for the 2nd meeting I suggested a workshop at Fairfield University. The Harding kids voted no. They wanted to attend another high school in the state for the date. They attended Staples in Westport.

I was amazed by how quickly the kids got into their discussion groups and how every book they brought had sticky notes annotation. As I walked around the room, everyone was discussing the story and working with one another through the plot and where they lost clarity. The collaborators then challenged the kids to do body biographies and to draw from the text to justify their choices. They all had a lot of fun tracing the body of someone in their group and working through the text to made decisions.

I am, because we are. Ubuntu. For this one, I simply named phenomenal people to collaborate with phenomenal people and then came to observe the wonder of it all. It made Thursday magical, especially in anticipation of this frantic Friday.

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete