Wednesday, September 26, 2018

What Do You Call A Bacon-Wrapped Dinosaur? I Got Ya. Ready.

Jurassic Pork.

Yep.

Jurassic Pork.

I guess I'm officially mid-life because my students are now telling me my jokes are corny dad jokes. I'll take it, because if we ain't laughing...we're crying, or stressing, or worrying, or sleeping.

I try to make myself laugh.

This may be why I can't help but go with the easy jokes when delving deeply into Philosophies of Education (and sorry Francis Bacon - but sizzled pork will fly across the screen this morning when talking with the undergraduates). Too easy. Trying to keep them awake during a turbo class.

Seriously, though, I was intrigued by the week's reading discussing Idols of the Tribe, Idols of the Den, and Idols of the Theater, and couldn't help but think of it in terms of The Hunger Game where belief systems are created to support the inequities, but peace, of several districts - it's the way it needs to be. There's a metaphor there and I am hoping to tap into it.

Sometimes, the heaviness of what we read, what we discuss, what we explore, what we contemplate, and what we think about gets my brain tied into a Gordian Knot. I think about the lesson learned in grad school while doing a course on scientific dispersion modeling (basically, physics for predicting the potential for ozone depletion). The professor brought us to a 4th grade classroom and said, "If you can't teach it to a 4th grader, than you don't know what you're talking about."

That's what we did.

Every since, I've been critical of esoteric academic writing when the language used to articulate a point is uncomfortably overdone, elitist, and self-serving (which is 90% of what I have to read as a professional). Personally, I think most of the knowledge we need to know doesn't need all the hyped up vocabulary created by scholars in a competition of who knows more about what.

No, let it be relevant to 4th graders.

Hence the bacon and a final joke.

What do you call a pig that is absolutely wrong? Mistaken Bacon!

ba dum dum ch

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM  

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete