Wednesday, February 21, 2018

I Think The Great Whatever Might Say It's Probably Good, @jennifer_s_dail, That I Arrive Today

And the Gold Medal goes to Dr. Jennifer Dail, Kennesaw State University.

Yes, my colleague, mentor, friend, inspiration, and fellow lover of everything literacy in the world arrived to Oklahoma a day before my flight gets in. She, like Drs. Shelbie Witte and Susan James, has become VIP in the universe of Crandall. Should I have arrived a day early, I am sure the two of us would have found some sort of mischief to get into (we still will, but it may be good I'm a day later).

Jennifer has a mad selfie game and I bow dow to her achievement during the 2018 Pyeong Chang Olympics. She has received the gold medal for a solo selfie, especially when she sent this to me last night wondering where the heck I was (note: the greenery behind her is not a hat nor a wig, just a brilliant extension of a fantastic selfie - that is why the Gold medal went to her....and to match her earrings). Everything about this selfie is miraculous and, flights permitting, I hope to compete alongside her in the colleague/pair event scheduled tonight and Thursday.

Phew. What a life it's been since the ball fell in 2018.

This morning, I'm on my way to Stillwater, Oklahoma for the 21st Century Literacies Lecture Series where I've been invited to give a talk that I'm calling (Re)Humanizing Literacies with Ubuntu: I Am, Because We Are. My goal is to highlight everything J. Graham Brown School, Louisville Writing Project, Hoops4Hope, Syracuse University, and Fairfield University, especially in regard to the work I do with immigrant and refugee youth. This, of course, is the National Writing Project way.

It is an honor, and I'm still shaking my head that anyone wants to listen to what I have to say. I'm sure Chitunga, Abu, and Lossine, like all my students, get tired of me rather quick, and I know my mom, dad, and sisters have been rolling their eyes at my thinking for 40+ years. Still, I am already reflecting on this opportunity as an amazing one to focus and articulate what has become my life work.  (Oh, Sue McV, you have no idea how you have made these wings strong).

My talk, however, will acknowledge that this work is not mine; I am, because of who we are together. 

A big part of me wants to put a link in this post for my 30-minute talk in case anything happens (e.g., technology, snow storms), just because I know I won't share my remarks until later this week (I'm always strategizing for the 'what if' scenarios). I am waking up this morning, however, truly excited to meet others from across the nation, and to give sincere hugs to all involved with this invitation.

I am truly grateful to everyone behind these initiatives and to Oklahoma State University for hosting the event. Glamis, the wonder dog, definitely knew I was packing last night and so, this morning, I'm getting the cold, furry, silent treatment. She has good company while I'm gone and I'm simply looking forward to absorbing the expertise, friendship, wisdom, brilliance, and passion of many while I'm there.

I'm sure the starlings flying in my chest will settle once I land! 

And with that, I'm off to the airport. 

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete