Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Representing Louisville, Syracuse, and Fairfield Days in Orange & Blue (Biased) But Knowing I Am, Because They Were (Are)

When Abu called me yesterday, President's Day, I was in need of a catch-up festival and a reason to take a break. I was in my office working on a "lecture" for the Divergent Award from the Initiative of 21st Century Literacies Research. Over the weekend, I needed to upload my slides so that they could be used for television programming in Oklahoma and, alas, I sent the slides without composing my remarks.

Ah, I'm a visual learner. This actually worked to my advantage. I knew what I wanted to say, but needed to conceptually put it in visual form before I wrote.

Thank You, Brown School. Thank You, Kentucky. Thank You, Syracuse University. And Thank You, CWP-Fairfield and all the teachers and kids I work with. Because of you, I knew exactly what I wanted to say.

On President's Day, before the rain came, I went for a 4 mile run before heading into room 115 Canisius Hall to compose my remarks. Many don't know, but I began having complete paranoia with public speaking while doing my doctorate at Syracuse University. I often remarked that before I have to present to fellow academics, it feels like a flock of starling birds trying to exit my rib cage.

For these reasons, I knew I needed to write out what I was going to say, slide by slide, so that I wouldn't have to improvise slide by slide like I sometimes do.

I have something to say, and I want to be sure I say it correctly.

I also happened to be wearing Syracuse paraphernalia which, coincidentally, matched the slide graphics I decided to create. While talking to Abu, I realized that my sneakers matched, too (wait? Crandall, isn't it disrespectful to put your feet on your desk?). I also saw the CNS Wall of Fame plaque that was given to me by my High School alma mater, when I was working with Syracuse youth during a Writing Our Lives conference.

This is all to say that my trip to Oklahoma is the result of my Louisville/Syracuse/Connecticut ties and that I am able to say what I have to say only because of all the individuals who have helped me to find a voice.

And look at that - an writing activity genre research theoretical lens in the background.

Phew! A day of writing is complete, as well as several recommendations, ESTP application work, nominations, and my remarks. I awoke this morning with a dead brain, but I'm sure it will begin to work soon.

Here's to The Great Whatever. I am, because we are. Shouting out to many for the work I'm fortunate enough to do! Feeling grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment