Thursday, May 10, 2018

Hard To Believe It's Been Five Years. So Much Has Happened Since, And I Think of You All The Time

Every year, I open up my Lois file and simply start laughing. I also tear up. We only had two short years together and, to be honest, when I first arrived to Fairfield I didn't know what I was doing. Even so, you were assigned to assist me. You inherited the job from a woman on her way out, as did I, from another woman on her way out (trust me, the files are dense).

You and I had crazy struggles with state budgets and support that first year, especially because the program was $18,000 in debt, and we always were on pins and needles whether your position would be funded for another year. Because we were trying to make sense of it all, we turned to humor and I have all the videos you made me to catch my attention (because I was busy and you needed me to attend to the needs of CWP), so you'd email these clips. I loved them all (even the ones you sent from home)

The other day, I was at an event in the Dolan School of Business and I remember the night we were told we had to host a retirement party there, even though we didn't know we were supposed we. We did the party, but we didn't know any of the people there so we created a roast together while improvising off one another. I only had been there months and everyone was sending us requests and somehow we pulled it off. That's when we started laughing.

We had two years of laughing together.

Funny, I now live around the corner from your old house. You were my first friend in Connecticut and you took me under your wing (actually, you'd say I wouldn't leave you alone). I always stopped by and would take you and Luis out for Pizza on Fridays. Eventually I would rent nearby and then, wola!, looked for homes near yours.

5 years ago today, when Pam called, I went forward, full charge, to help out where I could. You went way too soon. It was such a shock.

It's also funny, Lois, when I think about who that guy was back then and who he is now. I can't believe how much has changed in 5 years and it all has happened so fast. We still live on pins and needles about state funding (it gets harder and harder every year), but we have figured out alternative plans to support kids and teachers. Your sister, Pam, adopted me as a brother right away and ever since this date, we became family (as has her kids). You were the catalyst for that (and I can only imagine what life would be like if you were still with us). You probably wouldn't even be talking to me anymore, frustrated by what a #$@ I can be.

I am thinking of you today as always. Every year when I look through the pictures and watch the videos of you I am reminded of how you initiated by time in Connecticut with joy and laughter. Watching them now makes me extremely sad, but also hopeful. The humor was always amazing and something I grew to love every day. We knew one another briefly - I can only imagine how this anniversary is for your loving sisters and mother who had a lifetime with you.

Tonight, I will eat a roast beef sandwich in your honor and I'll probably run by your old house.

Love you, Lois. Still hate that you're gone. But I am thinking of you today. Watch over us.

Well be listening to Michael Jackson's Rock With Me, I'm sure, as we did when we gook you our for a final beer (and steak dinner). 

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete