Sunday, May 20, 2018

My 7th, And #68 for @FairfieldU. Reflecting on the Pomp and Circumstance Once Again

My first year, 2012, I left my own doctoral graduation at Syracuse University, to return to Connecticut to take part in the beautiful commencement on Bellarmine lawn. I bypassed ceremonies for my Masters degrees from Louisville and left Bread Loaf School of English right before I finished my last two classes for a 3rd (so obviously missed that one, too).

Today, however, Fairfield University will host its 68th commencement and I am delighted to take part in both undergraduate and graduate ceremonies, 1st as a faculty matter, then as a marshal to usher in Masters students from our own programs.

In 2014, I had the pleasure of working with Jessica Baldizon (left) and that summer I asked if she would like to be part of a Young Adult Literacy Lab called Ubuntu Academy, a two-week summer camp for immigrant and refugee youth and a vision I carried from my dissertation to provide more writing opportunities for young people across the nation. Jessica graduated in 2016 and at the procession she showed me her cap she decorated with the signatures of the students. Jessica continues to lead Ubuntu Academy every summer and also teaches at Cesar Batalla K-8 where she also runs an enrichment program for the same population called Hope Club. She remains VIP in my Connecticut life and I cherished her as a student, but now I love having her as a colleague and fellow visionary.

This year, 2018, a brilliant young man who I've never taught but who has been alongside my professional journey since we both received MLK Vision Awards (and I with his), introduced me to his parents when his mother presented him with his own decorated cap. Today, at the 68th commencement, Michael J. Harding will be presenting the valedictory student address to kick the celebration off. I'm so happy for this kid because he is intelligent, passionate, political, and caring. I never had the privilege of teaching Michael (as I don't often get opportunities with undergraduates as much as I'd like), but I've been blessed to work with him on his intellectual pursuits, including work with author Kwame Alexander in Ghana. The two of us traveled to NYC for his interview during the premiere of Solo.

Ah, but now Michael, like Jessica did, will be heading beyond the academic life of Fairfield University to carry forth his own journey towards a law degree and, more likely than not, into politics. This is a young man with a keen eye for what it will take to be a change-agent for the next generation of voters (and I look forward to the time when they inherit our nation).

In my own sojourn, it has been the embrace of many who have allowed me to achieve what I have: family, friends, mentors, colleagues, and especially the young people who I continue to work with. I include Michael J. Harding in this mix because, also like Jessica, he has become a very important human to me. I am, because we are.

Here's to the graduating classes of 2018. While to set out to turn the tassel and move onto greater things, we'll be in Stag-country prepping for next year's incoming crews.

I wish each and everyone a spectacular day and enviable future. You deserve it all.

PS: I want everyone to know that even though it has been a swamp in the sky for the last week (and yesterday I even had to run in a toboggan, I'm working with Maude and the Great Whatever so we can have the ceremony outdoors. For the week that just was, optimism arrived that Sunday was going to finally see a halt in the rain - at least for the day. I understand this has changed, but I'm hoping this will be like several other weather predictions in the area and become a total miscalculation. There is nothing like a Fairfield graduation and I'm putting all my prayers into sunshine and a dry morning and afternoon. Fingers crossed.

You got this.

We got this.

Great Whatever, you'd better get this!



No comments:

Post a Comment