Monday, May 21, 2018

Ubuntu, @FairfieldU Class of 2018! May The Togetherness Michael J. Harding Spoke About Last Forever

I've known for a couple Fridays that Michael J. Harding was selected to be the 2018 Fairfield University Valedictorian speaker, but he's kept his plan of action completely a secret. I knew he was being coached by Yohuru Williams and that he also received advice from colleagues in the Communication department. He keeps a tight schedule of studying for the LSAT, going to the gym, working in the community, and saying last goodbyes to his friends and mentors on campus, so I was simply excited about two things: (1) he was selected and (2) The Great Whatever gave me the perfect seat for this year's commencement. I was able to capture his words on video. Hoops4Hope, Ubuntu Academy, Young Adult Literacy Labs, CWP-Fairfield, Fairfield University Men's Basketball program, and Taylor Sharp, producer of Hoops Africa: Ubuntu Matters loved everything this young man had to say. Why? Ubuntu does matter.

Michael is poised, articulate, extremely intelligent, and full of integrity. He made yesterday's commencement extra-special and even though he mentioned the rain in the beginning of his address, his words were heard above and the clouds quickly parted to bring sunshine for the rest of the ceremony (and for the graduate commencement that followed). Phew.

Graduations are always powerful, but when you have close relationships with young people like Michael and so many of his classmates, the experience becomes extra special. Meeting families, too, helps faculty to see all the magic that was invested into these kids to help them to success toward this moment before they arrived. Many of the students will be departing Fairfield University for good, while others are returning to do a 5th-year masters. They love their school, are dedicated to what is invested upon them, and deserve the celebration of their hard work.

Congratulations to all the undergraduate and graduate students. A special round of applause, too, for Dr. Mary Frances Malone who pulled off another spectacular ceremony - her dedication to Fairfield University is simply amazing and she should be thrilled that her last graduation was, indeed, hosted on Bellarmine Lawn. She is one-of-a-kind and we will miss her when she retires next year.

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete