Friday, May 4, 2018

Thrilled To Throw Applause on Bridgeport Public Schools: BHEA Youth, Teachers, Staff & Family Awards

If you don't see me out and about on this Friday morning, it might be because I'm still in bed. It's the time of year when all the projects come in, the classes must be completed, the meetings ramp up, and the award ceremonies are in stereo. As a result, the 12-hour day ritual has been in full effect.

I began yesterday with a conversation with fellow academics looking at ways they might offer their services with K-12 schools and I finished my day with a celebration of 140 of 520 awards given to the exceptional youth, faculty, staff, administrators and parent/guardians in Bridgeport Public Schools. These awards are given by the Bridgeport Higher Education Alliance and represents the concentrated efforts of Fairfield University, Sacred Heart University, Housatonic Community College and University of Bridgeport. Each of our campus has a section of Bridgeport Schools that we work with to name and honor the best of the best in the district.

For the 2nd year, I was asked to emcee the event and this year I asked Akabaru Niyonkuru to join me at the Mic. Why? Well, he's a senior in one of my favorite English teacher's classroom (the one that my own kid, Chitunga, had while at Bassick) and also he's accepted a place in the Class of 2022 at Fairfield University. He is one of three Lions becoming Stags next year (all three as incredible as he is). Behind them, however, is senior English Teacher Jan Blevins: there are not enough red carpets or ticker tape parades for how much this educator does for her students.

The evening went extremely well with a full house in the Oak Room on the 2nd HOT day of this spring-summer (and, of course, the air condition conks out so it was a hotter than usual event). I'm truly honored to be able to announce the names of all the awardees, especially as the youth, teachers, staff, administrators and parents were/are named by their colleagues at the school. They are the best of the best and given accolades for their spirit, hard work, willingness to change, perseverance, mentoring, going the extra mile, and community support. Of all in each school, they were the chosen ones and this is absolutely phenomenal. It is an absolute honor to be a part of this.

Finally, a college of mine returned from S. Africa this week and brought me back a bracelet from the Apartheid Museum there. You can see what it says and why I am truly honored to have it on my wrist. I know it will not last forever, but it is one fo the greatest acts of kindness I've received in some time.

I will wear the decor with pride, especially since at this time of year we need togetherness as much as as we can find it. We're all in this together and that is why I love surrounding myself in communities of positive, hopeful individuals who are working to make the world a better place. You'd think there'd be more of them out there, but the vast majority of our species, sadly, are self-serving, whining, hateful and bitter.

I'll choose love and those who do good for others every time. That is what last night's celebration was all about.


1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete