Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Let There Be Light! Crandall As Lawn Gnome Sneaking Glow Bulbs To the Lawns of Friends

A few years ago, after a summer of CWP-Fairfield literacy labs and teacher institutes, I stumbled upon a clearance rack at Home Depot of solar-lit lawn globes in the colors of orange, yellow, and blue. I immediately bought one and upon seeing it in my backyard, I returned the next day to buy the rest. They were handed out as a thank-you to the many who worked behind the scenes to support the summer programs.

Additionally, I stashed a few away to give to my sisters and parents, and bought a few more for myself.

Since that date, I've looked over and over again to find the model, but the maker switched to different shapes that weren't as nice. That, and the non-clearance price was ridiculous.

Fast forward to 2018 when, two days ago, I found the globes once again, still not on sale. Knowing how long I waited to find them again, I bit my lip and purchased 3 at full price - two for me and one for a friend who gave hers away to a friend who "had to have it." One of the ones I bought, however, didn't work so I took it back for an exchange to learn (ba da da!) that all the globes were 50% off.

Crandall-the-Bargain-Hunter-BINGO.

I had to buy them up once again. Call me the Connecticut lawn gnome. Last night, I delivered two of them to the lawns of friends who offer me light throughout my stressful endeavors (they are remarkable friends who keep me sane). I knew they were each at a movie, so I simply plugged them into their gardens without a note. I also delivered one to each of my neighbors who have helped me with Glamis and for parking when our driveway was being done. We needed the spaces. Without a fuss, they offered up their spaces.

It's the small things that make this guy happy. I like looking out at night to see the lit globes sprinkled throughout my yard. I now will be able to look out to my neighbors' lawns to also see such light. For one, I planted in memory of her dog she had to put down at the beginning of summer. I know she was devastated and Glamis and I have missed seeing him out back and going for his daily walks. I'm hopeful the light will stand in his memory and she will love it (she doesn't return from vacation until Saturday).

So, let there be light! That is on my mind right now. Let there be light!

No comments:

Post a Comment