Sunday, August 26, 2018

Welcome to my weekend, where I've pile the reading/re-reading high and I'm already thinking ahead to the instruction to come.

This is YA Lit week for my courses, where I introduced a YA novel to the objectives for the course and I begin to ask my students, "Well, how would you teach this?" For my undergraduate philosophy class, we are pairing Freire, Rizga, Dewey, and Nicholson with a reading of Jason Reynold's Ghost and with my graduate course for content literacy teachers, The Literate Learner, we're pairing Beers & Probst, Smagorinsky, and Lent with Jason Reynold's Long Way Down and special visitations with #UNLOAD: Guns in the Hands of Artists. With knowledge that the writer, Reynolds, will be at the Saugautck Story Fest, I wanted to be sure he was well represented (my courses featured Nic Stone last spring).

By 5 p.m., however, I put the books away (thanking Syracuse football for keeping me entertained for most of the afternoon as I read - sad defeat in the end, however), and I began to barbecue. I cooked a week's worth of food, had friends over, and culminated the evening with Chitunga's Father's Day gift from a few years ago, the fire pit. We sat out back for a long while, laughing, being stupid, and taking advantage of a nice night with cool temperatures where it was still warm enough to sit outside.

Today, however, I'm in total ram mode, plowing ahead with grading, more reading, more planning, and more organizing for Hoops Africa: Ubuntu United and the Story Fest. It's coming, but I took a little of my Saturday to unwind some.

I simply love burning wood (and anything that is flammable) in the fire pit on cool nights like last night. The flames hypnotize and make it easy to unwind.

Okay, Sunday. We got you. Here we go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment