Saturday, September 1, 2018

Another Pair of Shoes: The Kind You Rent That Skeeves The Feet

I haven't bowled in years. In fact, I don't think I've bowled in almost a decade. Yet, last night I went out in celebration of a birthday and I stuck my fingers into a ball and became thankful I didn't uncover any fingernails. I had six strikes, but that wasn't so hot because they were spread out and then I had horrible shots.

I was in a bowling league as a kid...in fact, Saturday bowling is what we all did. We were the cool kids and we received wooden pins at the end of a season. It's a real athlete's sport, I tell ya. I also have fond memories of Thursday nights with my father on Erie Boulevard, where I knew on the best nights he'd stop at the Clam Bar on the way home to get steak sandwiches.

Last night, there was only one game and I was thankful to bowl in the 130s. The bowling alleys are now fancy with gadgets, lights, televisions and other flashy distractions. It was hard to find the arrows, which I use to mark where to release the ball. When I found it, I was okay. When I couldn't see it, I was screwed.

Phew. Used to have my own bowling ball and bag. I think my sisters had them, too. My mom bowled at Flamingo lanes in a woman's league.

It's 2018. The shoes are the same, but now they charge $5.75 to rent them. They know how to make money.

It's still fun and one of these days I will beat my high of 198. I always wanted to hit the 200 mark. I'll get there before I die.

But today, I need to get into the pre-semester lane and focus on the arrows of a successful semester. Classes begin on Tuesday and I know preparation is everything. Time to nerd out and get it all together.

Channel Grease II here: We're going to bowlllllll tonight. We're going to rock, we're going to roll, we're boing to bop, we're going to bowl.

Just call me Stan Kowalski.

Yikes. It's September again!

No comments:

Post a Comment