Friday, August 31, 2018

Midlife Crisis: Not a Car, Not a Boat, Not a Redirection in My Life - A Walk With Glam

I've been waking up early, to be sure I get my run in, but also to finish wrapping up summer projects so I have this weekend to begin planning for the Fall semester. Glamis the Wonder dog, however, has been hyper-aggressive to remind me that I've chosen not to take her for a 4 mile walk in this heat. At 8 a.m., it isn't that bad, so feeling guilty I have leashed her up, grabbed the doggie doodie bags, and made her happy; in fact, yesterday she got to go on two walks...in the heat...with prayers for the cold front to come through already (only to disappear early next week).

And I bought myself a gift....a blast from the past that accentuate the fact that I have two different-sized feet. I found a pair of knock-off Birks like I used to wear in college.

Looking down, I suddenly have flashbacks of wearing overalls, S. American knit heavy sweaters, wool socks, and my sandals, as I paraded across Binghamton university with my long hair in a pony tail...a look that I carried even further at the University of Louisville.
Boy, did I love my sandals in college, but after several repairs in three different states, I eventually had to chuck them. There was no recorking possible and the tread on the bottom could not be replaced because the sandals were 20 years old.

But I got another pair and I feel like Chitunga. He has no idea how envious I've been seeing him parade around the house this summer in HIS sandals that I didn't have. Seeing his toes in a pair of Birks simply triggered memories and mid-life envy. I wanted those shoes for myself.

Silly to think that my grasp to younger days have to do with footwear, but I'm sure any Birk-wearing, 60s-throwback Generation X freak like me understands 100% what nostalgia these shoes bring: Blues Traveler, Chili Peppers, Edie Brickel and the New Bohemians, They Might Be Giants, The Sundays, The Judy Bats, Spin Doctors, Tracy Chapman...

Phew...my feet were a signal for the time.

And yes, "What are those?" - you can make fun of the fact that my left foot is almost a size larger than the right. I live with it. Now you can, too.

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM  

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete