Monday, September 17, 2018

Going Into Monday Mesmerized By the Triple Breach of Humpback Whales

I'm not sure if this is an old video, but it came across my feed on Sunday and I was simply taken by the beauty of the natural world and the miraculousness of creatures that share this world with us. A friend of mine, fishing on an exhibition, posted another video as he and his boat mates attempted to get plastic off another whale that kept swimming alongside their boat.

These are miraculous creatures. In high school, I did a report on baleen whales and soon after I went with my Uncle Milford on a whale watch off the Long Island sound. Although the majority of people grew sick on the heavy movement of the waves, a few of us stayed outside to see the spectacular creatures.

They are magnificent.

And curious.

And part of the awe of being alive on such a planet. Although I'm pessimistic and skeptical, I always cheer for such species upon this planet as humans make a tremendous mess of it.

I was taken by the choreographed leaps of these three and can't imagine how awe-inspiring it must have been to see them doing this live, upon the water, and simply out on a weekend boating stroll.

May they outlast us all, even despite the garbage dumped in our waters: the toxins, the waste, and the deliberate hunting and harm.

That we share the planet with them is simply amazing. When I saw this video, I thought, "Wow. Sometimes the world can be beautiful."

No comments:

Post a Comment