Monday, September 10, 2018

If They Are Coming Back, I Wonder If I Will Look Ridiculous Wearing Them Again

In college I lived in them. I wore them with wool socks and birkenstocks, often with an insulated, long sleeve shirt underneath. I had my ponytail, my books, and my pre-hipster, post-hippie groove going on (even when I began teaching, when I would wear them with a tie). I loved wearing my overalls and my little sister did, too. She also got into the habit of wearing the big, bulky knit sweaters from S. America (I think she had like 14 of them). Me? Maybe two.

It was perfect attire for CNY on cool days like these and I've been keeping an eye out for their return. I've noticed that more and more high school kids have been wearing them again and I've even seen a few undergraduates.

Could it be time? Will they be resurrected once again?

I remember my favorite green pair were bought in an Osh'Kosh store for kids. They were in the big section and they shouldn't have fit an adult like me, but they did, and I got them for cheap. I think they were corduroy and I also picked up a kaki pair.

It's got to be the temperatures, because I'm longing for having them in my wardrobe again. Phew! I wonder if any of my college friends have pictures of me wearing them while thinking I was super cool. Now, I'm wondering if they do find their way back if it would look ridiculous for a middle-aged man wearing them.

I know, however, that if I see them, I'm likely to relive some of my youth by getting a pair. I loved every second of those days: the Lollapalooza concerts, the Horde ones, and seeing Blues Traveler. If I ever had a fashion statement, those were it. Here's to fingers being crossed that the revival is actually here and my prediction of an overall nation is upon us once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment