Saturday, October 13, 2018

If You're In CT, You Want To Be At @WestportLibrary for @S_StoryFest Today. Amazing Opportunity

These are only some of the Saugatuck Story Fest Youth Advisory Board (with only Shaun Mitchell). Missing from the photo are the teaching divas Kim Herzog and Rebecca Marsick, plus other young people who have made a miraculous literary gala possible in southern Connecticut.

I am honored to be a part of their team and if you want to know why you should visit the lineup that they've made possible for the next couple of days: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/f40150_490656a47671407487e36184494088a4.pdf.

Last night, I participated in one of the most amazing, coordinated literacy events of my lifetime - a special dinner between kids and writers, including Nic Stone, Jason Reynolds, Rose Brock, Ashley Woodfolk, Robin Benway and Gordon Jack. Not only was the catering of Staples High School Advanced Culinary class exquisite, but the orientation of allowing young people to interact with such amazing writers was truly exquisite.

I rotated between being totally star-struck, totally mesmerized, totally studios and absorbing, and totally nerd for most of the evening.

I was fortunately placed by the young woman who designed the logo for the festival and could here here and another Youth Board Advisory member interact with all the other authors as they rotated from course to course (brilliant planning by Kim and Rebecca - I am not surprised).

Today, not only will there be displayed, opportunities for incredible fun, and tremendous panels, but there will be an absolute explosion for books, conversations, and the joy of reading at Westport Library. Tomorrow, too - as it moves back to Staples High School for writing workshops.

I'm still processing the Hoops Africa: Ubuntu Matters event, and now we are diving in to the book fest.

I am so, so, so proud of everyone involved. I think I need to be pinched, because I just might be dreaming.  

1 comment: