Friday, October 12, 2018

TGIF! Oh, But Wait! This Party Is Only Getting Started! Bring On the Writers!

I want to have 100% memory of all that went down last night at Fairfield University for the Hoops Africa: Ubuntu United screening (pictured here: Taylor Sharp, Producer, William King, Teacher, and some of the Ubuntu Academy kids).

Rather, my brain was running as my father would say - "Like a whippoorwill's a@@!" I couldn't keep up with all the details: guests arriving, buses coming in, food being distributed, speakers getting ready, tables to set up.

I guess it was a success.

I counted 375 in attendance, but the Quick Center told Taylor that there were over 600 seats filled, they had someone do a count. I was too busy sweating and reading my speech too quickly so I could get off the stage.

I can't write a lot this morning, as I have to get ready for the YA author's dinner tonight with he Saugatuck Story Fest youth advisory board.

The men's basketball team. Phenomenal. The women's basketball team. Phenomenal. Mark, Taylor, Sydney Johnson, and Jessica Baldizon. Phenomenal.

All the food was eaten, too.

I think it will take me a few days to capture all that occurred last night, and I look forward to moments in my life where I can reflect on the talents of Taylor Sharp, the vision of Mark Crandall, the integrity of Coach Johnson, the joy of the Ubuntu Youth, and the compassion and care of the Fairfield University community that got behind this work.

I am, because we are. I am feeling blessed.

1 comment: