Thursday, November 15, 2018

#NCTE18 - Ready to Bloom with @CWPFairfield Teachers @NCTE with @WritingProject Friends

Here we go! In January we sent proposals, and by summer we knew what was selected. For the last few months we've looked at data and prepped our presentations. Our CWP-Fairfield crew of 10 has 6 presentations over the next four days, plus a much needed brunch with the National Writing Project family. Somehow, I got all the goods packed into a carry-on (I've cooked for my house/dog-sitters so they will have food, I cleaned so I am not embarrassed for them to live here, and I've stuffed folders for handouts for all the sessions).

Ah, but before I had time to focus on my travels from Connecticut to Houston, I needed to finish a giant project with my undergraduate students during a turbo-course Wednesday. They have no idea what I'm up to, but they will on December 5th when their hard work is presented to the Principal of Columbus K-8 with the artwork I devised in my head. I teach Philosophy of Education and, cough-cough, my philosophy should be obvious from the project.

Truth: The undergraduates folded almost 300 paper- flowers as part of class today. I didn't anticipate the joy, but they got totally ZEN with the labor. When I said, "We have enough flowers," they grew disgruntled. I think they needed the hands-on artistry - expressing themselves in a way that is different than text proved to be very therapeutic. It's flu season at Fairfield University and many of them had sniffles. I now look forward to the final product - for now, let's just say that my office is loaded with tissue paper love that I will return to after NCTE.

Speaking of love - it's my favorite time of year. I'm looking forward to meeting with CT friends in Texas to present on yearlong work, as well as to present with national literacy leaders. I'm also looking forward to the new friends that will be with us this year: K-12 literacy educators who gain brilliant expertise from NCTE and who have opportunity to meet stellar writers and dreamers. They are the ones who understand that teaching is a profession.

Our schedule is above. It's not that I'm presenting - it's that WE'RE presenting. I am very proud to have 10 others from the CWP-Fairfield site doing their thing this year deep in the heart of Texas. I'm also applauding the two newbies coming with our crew who recently graduated from Fairfield University with Masters in Elementary Education and Teacher Education Foundations. We are stronger together.

But, it's time to hit the road, to the plane, to the connection flight, and to the destination. With luck, we'll get to the hotel in a decent hour and pick up our materials before heading to bed Then, on Friday, at 9:30 a.m. - it begins! Love that this year's kick-off is with Dr. Alan Brown and the afternoon is with two of my favorite literacy gurus, Dr. Shelbie Witte and Dr. Jennifer Dail.

It will be a love fest, indeed.

I'm so ready for the love. Here comes Crandall and his crew.

1 comment:

  1. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM  

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete