Monday, July 2, 2018

A Photo To Warm My Monday (& My Heart). Wishing Dylan a Safe Flight

The nephew departs today. That means yesterday I received photographs as the Isgars spent a family day together - Dylan's last day on Pine Grove in Cicero before heading into the Army. Last night was his first sleep away and this morning he departs for basic training.

It's been hard to try to put myself into the shoes of Nikki, Cynde and Mike because Dylan's just always been in the house with wise one-liners, political comments and requests for $20. Today, however, he departs to the next phase of his life and I'm extremely proud of him. He will fight for the red, white and blue - the definition for democracy that his grandfather fought for and what his understanding of history has taught him.

Dylan slimmed down a lot these last few months, but I know that by the time we see him again he will be both slim and muscular. He's my height and he somewhat picked up running as he tried to get ready for basic training.

It's been a long time since Dragon Wars, the worst film I've ever and seen that Dylan insisted on seeing (this was post his Godzilla phase and somewhat near the time he stuffed his pockets at the local gas station with treats for the movie because, he said, "You did it last time").  Actually, we bought the snacks before stuffing our pockets - but to a kid, that is trivial, so what's a little shoplifting.

I love the joy in this photo, but also the fact that my older sister (I know) spent the entire day trying to hold it together. I'm sure the airport departure is not going to be easy, but can attest that in time things will be more normal...more routine. He's moving towards a respectable and admirable career - one he's desired for a very long time.

It's funny. Every time I think of Dylan I remember picking him up as a little kid. He was never hollow or bird-boned. He was always, always a solid, thick kid. He was strength, and now he'll be able to use that in camouflage.

Here's to you, kid. We love you, and I look forward to the next movie you name that we both need to see (something better than Incredibles 2 I hope). Maybe by the time you return we'll have Deadpool 3. Thinking of you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment