Thursday, August 9, 2018

A Final Hoorah with READING LANDSCAPES: WRITING NATURE IN THE 21st CENTURY

And thus 6 weeks of summer work: 200+ youth and 30+ teachers comes to a close. We finished with a workshop on Google 360 and learning how to set up our iPhones as virtual goggles to see a panorama of our nature experiences. It was wonderful, but surreal. I was able to travel all around the world and view the 1/2 dome as if I was in that location (including standing in Cicero or getting off the train in Roskilde, Denmark. 

Bottom line, we can capture everything in a virtual world, but it doesn't mean the world is sustained or felt. There's beauty in the technology and I love every second of it, but we fail to recognize the humanity of it all. 

Prompted to reflect on the experience (in a very short time), I went poetic. Reading Landscapes: Writing Nature in the 21st Century - this was a little Total Recall for me, where nature is best experienced on a screen. 

Virtually Real, Really Virtual

We are a blur,
hypnotically captured in a shoebox
of yesterday’s photographs, 
specters and spooks 
in the crevices and nooks 
of history.

Waves don’t roll,
rivers don’t run.
Friends and family are partially etched
in disappearing time.

Thoughts are circular,
molecular, but only half
the dome is roamed….
the lines disconnect the real
from what we virtually hope is truth.

A google of geese
are frozen shadows across blue sky…
a façade of wings 
flying through a simulacra of migration.

Church congregations 
sit stills
with frozen prayers 
never to be heard.

Clouds become
time-capsules
trapped in a culture of voyeurism.

The virtue
of morally bankrupt
dehumanization
is the antonym
of what it means to be alive.

2 comments:

  1. While results aren't instant, they certainly are gratifying and can provide you with a bountiful supply of food. You can find more details on Astro Turf Installer and Supplier of the best quality turf - Astro Turf on the site astro-turf.co.za.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM  

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete